Skip to main content

Bassists are important too!

Hiya Guys,

So last week I did a pretty in depth blogpost about my obsession for the underrated task of being a drummer but that got me thinking. Bassists are also very underrated as they're part of the quiet yet necessary bass section so I thought about doing a similar post but for bassists.

The bass guitar is a wondrous instrument and if played correctly, it completely change a track and, if heard, it can be the most magical part of a song and encapsulate an audience. Everyone always complains how it is just a crappy version of a guitar with 4 strings but, to all those people, be gone with you demons!

So here are my top bassists in no particular order. Please do not hate if I've missed huge bass idols but these are just the ones I listen too and who have made a huge impact in my life. I also do not wish to pretend that I know about playing bass so, if I am technically wrong, then please do not criticise as I am a novice on the bass section.

1. Ryan Fletcher from Lawson
Also unable to find one but I vouch he is amazing.

Not to sound obsessed but I've seen Lawson perform about 6 times live and 4 times last year alone and I can say that Ryan Fletcher is one of the coolest and best bassists around. The bad boy of bass. Even though I said there is no preference, he is definitely my top boy and this is because of the style he brings to playing the bass. His rugged good looks and hilarious personality should not draw away from the rawness of his playing and the drive this guy has whenever he plays. He also has some of the best bass faces that I have ever seen, even one to rival his bandmate Joel's, but it shows the commitment to his profession which has taken a long time to be noticed (I always wonder why). So if Lawson happen to be coming your way, check it out to see Ryan in his prime.

2. Zachary Merrick from All Time Low
I am unable to find one specific good HQ video of a bass solo but please do search.

Zachary Merrick for me is what pop punk bassists should be. Zack is stylish and oozes class whenever he is on stage rocking some of my favourite songs inc Dear Maria and anything of Don't Panic. The big thing for me, like Calum, is the ability for him to use his voice confidently to harmonise with Alex but show the audience how unique his voice is. Although he is extremely quiet compared to the other characters *ehem Jack* he allows his music to do most of the talking and makes me want to play the bass. I say he was one of the first bassists I really got into.

2. Calum Hood from 5 Seconds of Summer
Bass Solo from Everything I Didn't Say - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WjNpC4Mo0A

So I know there are going to be 5SOS sceptics but Calum is one of those bassists who doesn't make a huge fuss on his bass but creates magic. Although initially just a guitarist, as said by the Madden Brothers, it is crazy that Calum doesn't know talented he actually is and the passion that he puts into every performance. It's hard to make a presense on a stage with huge characters already in place, but I think that this is the reason that he is such an amazing bassist. He doesn't need gimmicks or flashy instruments to encapsulate a crowd.

4. Niklas Wistrand from Beside the Bridge
Cover of Elyar Fox (1:27) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_B2lBIt17M

You may have seen his bandmate Rasmus in my drummer post, I feel like there is a trend with the bands I like and their bass section being pretty much amazing. I feel like I can't really add much to the descriptions I used for the previous two except that Niklas also seems almost effortless when he's playing bass yet has such a stage presence that you want to scream at him for being so perfect. Along with his dashing good looks, he is also a sweetheart and is determined that, as a bassist, he won't be left in the shadows and that you know that he is a boss. The video I posted shows that talent where he looks at you while playing a complicated bass solo just to show that he is a true performer.

Even though there aren't as many as drummers on the post, bassists are hugely important and I have such respect for these 4 guys and although a few aren't very well known, apart from Zachary Merrick, they are the bassists that bring you in with their skills and personality, So next time you listen to a band driven song, tune your ears into that bass line or bass rift and really take it in because you won't regret it.

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE! A New Era?

Hiya Guys, I really hope that this week's blog title is obvious to those of you who understand and will most likely read this post! I am a big WWE fan and, before you say 'oh it's fake', well I do know that but I'd like to also say that Marvel and DC and all those films are also fake. So, these last few weeks made history in WWE by having the Brand Split of RAW and Smackdown and making them both live.  Here is my overview of the Draft last week as well as the first week of the so-called 'new era.' Draft Day I will be honest and say that Draft Day was a huge disappointment in terms of the draft itself and the way it was organised. It seemed extremely lackluster and rushed in comparison to the other years and seemed to be very much focused on the Managers of each of the companies (Stephanie/ Mick Foley and Shane/ Daniel Bryan) instead of the superstars. However, when it comes to the picks itself, I was pleasantly surprised and happy. I think...

Book... I PICK YOU!

Hiya guys, The title of this post is pretty self explanatory and I feel like these kind of posts are nice because they don't trick you and give you an insight into my crazy life. It's crazy how in my dads time, it wasn't 'cool' to be interested in books and now, everywhere you look, it seems as if books are becoming so much more mainstream and encouraged. Here are my top 4 books but they are in no order because I could never choose between my babies.           1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky This is one book I refuse to not have with me so it goes literally everywhere with me from Manchester to London. I think it was because the book had so much meaning and was the first book I felt as if I connected too. Charlie has a bit of everyone in him and it just means that you can relate to his character in some way without you feeling as if your diary is being read by millions. The fact that Chbosky has managed to touch on some reali...

My Strictly favourites for this year!

Hiya guys, Hasn't the first few episodes of Strictly been amazing and shocking, in terms of talent and the results (book Tameka leaving). I don't remember a year where so many of the contestants are this talented so early because even Ed Balls isn't as bad as people like John Sargeant or Greg Wallace. Before I start, special shoutout to Judge Rinder who literally entertains me every week and Claudia who proves that us short people can do whatever we want. So, what does a new series of SCD call for... oh yeah a list of my favourite's who I think have a proper shot of winning the glitterball this year. I am sorry for the size of the list, they're all too good to just pick a few! LETS GOOOO... 1. Danny Mac and Oti Mabuse I loved Danny in Hollyoaks so I was mega excited when it came up that he was coming on the show and by God he did not disappoint me. I was also thrilled when he was paired with Oti who is absolutely magnificent but couldn't show...