Skip to main content

The Big Pop Punk Debate!

Hiya Guys,

Once again, I am sorry for the lack of posts but it seems as if living the life of a university student isn't as calm and easy as everyone told me. This week's music is something that really sparks a lot of arguments on YouTube comments and that is the on the subject of pop punk and what different people think it is.

The Wikipedia definition of pop punk is 'music typically combining fast punk tempos, chord changes and loud guitars with pop-influenced melodies and lyrical themes.' This definition seems pretty straightforward and is open to interpretation but then why does it cause so much aggression in the world of music? Although the genre seemed to be going through a decline in the late 2000s, much to the disgust of some people, the pop punk platform has become much more mainstream and is being popular for a much younger audiences. 

This debate has been around since the start and showed in the 2000s with people calling out Blink 182 and Greenday for not being pop punk enough. But, this went away when people started excepting that people had different interpretations. However, we are in a society where modern bands are being criticised for not being punk enough or being sell-outs in the same way that they were all those years ago. This seems wrong to me if you judge these bands on the Wiki definition.

A pop punk band is one that uses loud guitars and has changes in tempo's and are amazing lyrically with the odd guitar or bass solo. So why are bands like All Time Low or State Champs, who call themselves pop punk, being called out when they do exactly this. I know that there are other bands, such as Paramore or Fall Out Boy, who are getting the same stick but I'm sticking with these 2 as an example as these are the bands that have got me into heated discussions.

All Time low started from touring in tiny little vans and performing at tiny venues to selling out major arena's across the world with their guitar driven music that inspired so many people, including me, to want to pick up a guitar and start playing. There songs take influences from up tempo pop songs but takes on sore topics such as suicide and depression and entwine them into a song with meaningful lyrics.
If that isnt the essence of pop punk then I don't know what is! Whether you think that pop punk needs to stay as an underground style of music with bands that are more 'punk' or whether you think that people need to accept more mainstream styles, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Let me know in the comments below what you think of this debate. What bands do you love that are classified as pop punk but are being criticised for it? Are there any bands that you don't think belong in this genre?

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE! A New Era?

Hiya Guys, I really hope that this week's blog title is obvious to those of you who understand and will most likely read this post! I am a big WWE fan and, before you say 'oh it's fake', well I do know that but I'd like to also say that Marvel and DC and all those films are also fake. So, these last few weeks made history in WWE by having the Brand Split of RAW and Smackdown and making them both live.  Here is my overview of the Draft last week as well as the first week of the so-called 'new era.' Draft Day I will be honest and say that Draft Day was a huge disappointment in terms of the draft itself and the way it was organised. It seemed extremely lackluster and rushed in comparison to the other years and seemed to be very much focused on the Managers of each of the companies (Stephanie/ Mick Foley and Shane/ Daniel Bryan) instead of the superstars. However, when it comes to the picks itself, I was pleasantly surprised and happy. I think...

Book... I PICK YOU!

Hiya guys, The title of this post is pretty self explanatory and I feel like these kind of posts are nice because they don't trick you and give you an insight into my crazy life. It's crazy how in my dads time, it wasn't 'cool' to be interested in books and now, everywhere you look, it seems as if books are becoming so much more mainstream and encouraged. Here are my top 4 books but they are in no order because I could never choose between my babies.           1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky This is one book I refuse to not have with me so it goes literally everywhere with me from Manchester to London. I think it was because the book had so much meaning and was the first book I felt as if I connected too. Charlie has a bit of everyone in him and it just means that you can relate to his character in some way without you feeling as if your diary is being read by millions. The fact that Chbosky has managed to touch on some reali...

My Strictly favourites for this year!

Hiya guys, Hasn't the first few episodes of Strictly been amazing and shocking, in terms of talent and the results (book Tameka leaving). I don't remember a year where so many of the contestants are this talented so early because even Ed Balls isn't as bad as people like John Sargeant or Greg Wallace. Before I start, special shoutout to Judge Rinder who literally entertains me every week and Claudia who proves that us short people can do whatever we want. So, what does a new series of SCD call for... oh yeah a list of my favourite's who I think have a proper shot of winning the glitterball this year. I am sorry for the size of the list, they're all too good to just pick a few! LETS GOOOO... 1. Danny Mac and Oti Mabuse I loved Danny in Hollyoaks so I was mega excited when it came up that he was coming on the show and by God he did not disappoint me. I was also thrilled when he was paired with Oti who is absolutely magnificent but couldn't show...