Skip to main content

A Quiet Time in my Internet Life - Exams?

Hiya guys.

I've noticed that I haven't written since the 14/4 when I went to the Nathan Sykes concert.

There is a reason for this and it also contributes to the reduced time I spend on the computer, millions of people around the UK will also understand what I'm going through - exam season!

I'm taking my A-Levels which will affect the chance I have of getting into university, I mean that's a lot of pressure and everyone around me isn't afraid to let me know every single day. 'These grades will affect the rest of your life,' and 'Buckle down or you'll be ruining your future.' They don't know that I have heard all these thoughts before but coming from my own mind constantly. 

Colleges teaches you how to pass your exams, but they don't tell you how to cope with everything that comes with it including: how to revise; when to revise and how to cope with all the stress. The lack of communication on these subjects have really affected me since I did my GCSE's and I had to find my own way of 'coping' with everything while not overwhelming myself yet getting the work done. 

I don't know if any of you have been told anything but here are some tips I've got that will help you, even if it is only in a minuscule way:

  1. Revise in 45 minute spurts with 30 minute breaks in between. I know people revise for hours on end, but how much actually goes in? Research shows that our brains are only concentrating for 50 minutes at a time, so stick with that and rest because over exerting yourself won't help.
  2. Don't cram the night before an exam. Nothing will stay so it is best to spread your workload over a large space of time.
  3. Find a way of revising that helps you. Reading book after book isnt useful for everyone so find different ways each time. My personal favourites are reading aloud and making colourful mind maps as they use different parts of your brain.
  4. After revising for a proportion of the day- REST! I know it seems stupid but find something that relaxes you and do it as a reward. I listen to music or go onto Youtube and I find that it calms my mind everyday.
  5. Don't do late nighters, get a good amount of sleep! Revising until late won't do you any good and being tired for an exam will reduce the chance of you doing the best you possibly can. They say that 8hrs is key and although it is hard to stick by it, try your hardest to sleep as much as possible (but don't keep using it as an excuse)
  6. FINALLY- Do not worry! If you know that you have worked the hardest then whatever happens will happen. Stressing only makes it worse and can affect you in your health.

I hope that this is helpful and if you have any of your own methods then let me know on my twitter (@Full_Time_Nerd) or my tumblr (standingintheredsky)


That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin