Skip to main content

What? I've actually finished university!

Hi my lil fairies,

It's been a whirlwind few weeks, and probably months to be fair, but I've finally finished university - well I finished a few weeks ago and I've been trying to get back to normality. I managed to get a part time job and I know that, sooner or later, it'll dawn on me that I won't ever go back to university. I think the biggest thing for me is that I've pretty much spent all my life in education and it's been at the core of my life. As soon as I turned 3/4 I started primary school and then I was there until I went to high school where I spent 5 years until I went to college for two, which was then ended by 3 years at university - that's a long 18 years in some sort of education. It's crazy thinking about it now, that I was pretty much given a full blown schedule for most of my life and now I'm free...

I can't say how much I've enjoyed these last three years. Even though they've been some of the toughest, they've also been some of the most enjoyable! I've met some amazing people (I mean I couldn't have lasted the time without my housemate Eleanor and my friend Emma) and I've done some amazing things that I only could've done in London. We went ice-skating at the National History Museum, watched the Royal Wedding at the Maritime Museum, did work experience at Top of the Pops Magazine and watched so many West End shows. I've been able to learn more about periods of history that I love and I wrote a 10,000 word essay about the East German Stasi in film, television and literature through my own research - crazy isn't it? Probably the biggest thing is that I went outside my comfort zone, moved across the country and lived in the capital independently! I know I've grown so much in the last three years and, as sceptical as people were, moving to London was exactly what I needed and the right thing to do! 


However, what scares me the most and is probably making it harder to adapt back to normality. I have so much free time and really don't know what to do or what to think about. Of course I've got a part time job and now that my sister's home, we can probably do stuff during the day. But, it's still weird not having to think about if I have any work to do or if I need to do any background reading, I mean all I've got to worry about is results and I'm already terrified! I can do some writing like this or try and get more stories written but, with all the time I spent on my laptop during university, I feel like my head needs some space. How do I stop my mind going into overdrive with thoughts of failing and stuff if I don't have anything really to distract it with. I mean obviously I can apply for full time jobs in what I want to do, which is journalism but then I even find thinking about the future scary. I know what I'd like to do or where I want to be but how do I get there? What if, by the end of my professional career, I haven't been able to do what I set out too or I've been stuck in a job that I'm not passionate about.

Isn't it weird that you go through school and learn everything under the sun from how to solve a quadratic equation to being able to interpret the periodic table to the history of England. Yet, I don't think I know skills that will help me function as a *sigh* grown up. I'm not expecting to be spoon fed things but it's almost like I'm in denial that I'm going to have to go out, get a job, pay taxes etc. but I don't even know where to start. I know I could easily say I want to do an MA then a PhD to stop having to be a 'responsible' adult so quickly but all that's going to do is rack up more debt and waste time...

So, here's to the next few months and years and who knows what the future will hold!

That's all for now my dears

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Introducing me!

Hiya guys,  This is my first ever blog post, I was going to say of the year, but it is actually my first one ever! I think it is necessary to introduce myself to all you beautiful people.  My name is Sonal Lad and I am a below average 18 year old girl from England!  I started this blog because I have always been interesting in writing to a mass audience and I believe that this could be the starting point of trying to get into journalism. I also love the idea of being able to interact with people from all over the world on issues that are dear to my heart!  I think as time goes on, you will get to know me a lot more and hopefully I get to know all of you guys a lot better! That's all for now my dears, See you soon xx

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin