Skip to main content

Lawson - Perspective Track by Track Album Review

Hiya Guys,

You may be shocked to hear that this post brings back Music Friday **except it's on a Tuesday *so it's Tune Tuesday* bc why not**

In 2012, 4 piece band Lawson released their debut album Chapman Square which peaked at number 4 in the UK album charts with emotional and heart wrenching tracks like Stolen and The Girl I Knew. Fast forward 4 years, of which included Andy having a near death experience and months of writing, the long awaited second album Perspective has finally been released.

This album takes a very different approach and style from the first album and is a lot more upbeat and happy than Chapman Square. This is an absolutely amazing album filled with love, passion, some brilliant chord progressions, amazing vocals and some awesome guitar solos!
So here is my track by track review of the album and please bare with me and read to the end *it is worth it*:

Perspective (Intro)
This track is a great way to start the new album and really sets the tone for the songs! It is soothing and calming and I feel like I could close my eyes and imagine being at the beach when the sun is setting. It is such a simple arrangement but works amazingly well and I think it captures the essence of the album very well!

We Are the Fire
Having this song as the second track really emphasises the growth of Lawson and the changing perspective *mind the pun* on life. Upbeat and catchy, it really is one of those songs that once you listen too, you won't get it out of your head. The 'We Are the Fire' and 'Hey Hey' parts are something that resembles a football chant and works well within the song but doesn't take away from the amazing lyrics. It's a song that could be universally huge and will create great audience participation when sang live.

Money
The fact that the concept of this song comes from way back in the days when the boys were travelling in a van makes this song very meaningful as it shows how far the band has come in such a short time. I love the reggae and Caribbean vibe brought my the different instruments and percussion because it makes it feel more authentic and much more cool! It's almost as if Lawson are mocking their past but giving it that signature Lawson vibe by applying it to a 'love' scenario. 
Where My Love Goes
It is one of the most beautiful songs on the album and maybe even one of the most beautiful songs that I have ever heard. The heartfelt lyrics really show the contrast between the heartfelt songs from Chapman Square where the songs made me cry sad tears not happy ones . The soft piano melody really works nicely with the drums, guitar and bass which slowly become more intense and strong as the song continues! One thing that really stood out for me was the harmonisation at certain points from Andy and Joel which sounded angelic and made the song even sweeter!
Rio
This is definitely one of the more upbeat and festival type songs in the album. Like Money, it has that reggae and Caribbean vibe that works perfectly with the title and makes you feel like dancing until the night ends. This song really shows how vocally talented and versatile Andy Brown is from the tempo of the song to the range that puts me at shame *I'm 19 and could only dream of hitting those high notes #altoproblems*.

When I'm Old
This song has such a beautiful message to it and, although much slower than songs such as Rio, still has a very nice beat to it that makes it seem much brighter. This song is so catchy and I find myself singing it all the time and it's becaise the tune is so catchy and the use of the chant like aspects really show that they have thought about each song and made sure they linked in with each other through different arrangements.

Only Water
This song really shows off Andy's song writing skills and shows how this man can write some seriously meaningful songs with beautiful melodies and meanings. The use of the piano in this song really makes the song so much simpler and allows Andy's voice to really shine which is something I think other artists should take notes of. Then by slowly adding various instruments such as guitar and violin, it adds different layers that increase the song's dynamics.

Lion's Den
This start of this song almost reminds me of E.T by Katy Perry *but much better.* The songs lyrics really work well with the title but does not overuse the jungle/lion metaphor throughout. I think that the use of Lion characteristics was such a smart move by the band because the actions perfectly help to explain how relationships work in a different way.

Roads
This is my mum's all time favourite song and there is no way I can deny how amazing this song is. This was the first single to be released and really told all the fans how different this album would be and how it would be much more upbeat. I think the chanting is a running occurrence in the entire album and adds a completely new and brilliant dimension to the album.
I Look Anyway
Another absolute smash lyrically by Andy Brown and can be seen as a bit more like the stuff off Chapman Square. The chorus can be seen as having a slight reggae feeling *although not like Rio* and really is such an easy listen due to the beautiful blend of vocals and instruments. The drum section in the middle was a brilliant idea because it makes a nice crescendo into a slightly more upbeat section of the song.

Used To Be Us
This has to be my favourite song off the entire normal album and I knew it would be since I first heard it on tour last year. It combines perfectly a great drum beat with a soft melody to create passion within a listener to want to belt this song out with gusto and power! My favourite part has to be Joel's guitar near the end that blends with the last vocals because it perfectly fades out! These tracks are really proving how talented each member of the band is and how they each use their strengths and combine them together to make a song seem effortless.

Love and War
The use of a female vocalist to make this song a duet was the perfect decision as the two voices blend very nicely together and neither one is battling for dominance. The song itself is a great way to end the album and is another song that is lyrically amazing. It's a perfect blend of everything that makes Lawson amazing from the vocals to the lyrics to the arrangement!

So I hope you have enjoyed my review. Go and give the album a listen and support Lawson by buying it if you love it as much as I do and follow them on social media. If Lawson are reading this, thank you for everything and this album has definitely been the wait and I cannot wait to see them performed live and just to come and see you in concert because it is always one of the best moments of my year. Ever since I found you in 2011, you have been part of every important event in my life and have been there through everything so keep being you because it is so amazing.

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin