Skip to main content

Strictly Pro Dances of 2016

Hiya guys,

It's been about over a month since Strictly has finished and I've been suffering even more post-Strictly sadness since the tour has started and I couldnt able to get any tickets so let's take a moment to cry for me... okay done! Over the last few years, Jason Gilkison and some of the other choreographers have produced some amazing group dances for the pros and I can't even think about picking a favourite, even in this series. I might to an overall one later but welcome too...

Sonal's Top 5 Pro Dances of 2016...

1. Nicest Kids in Town
This is probably one of my all time favourite dances and I used to watch it pretty much everyday. Even though I noticed some stuff, e.g. AJ dancing by himself *I still want to know the reasons why* it was amazing in every single way. It also helped that it was one of my favourite dances to one of my favourite songs. I love how they incorporated both the pros and the celebs in the Blackpool spectacular and it really made me feel as if I was watching a group of friends having the time of their lives! The choreography was true to the dance style but also brilliantly incorporated parts of the Musical dance and quirky style of the time. I think both the pros and celebs did an amazing job of capturing the energy of the 60s and not letting the large number of dancers or bright outfits overshadow an amazing dance that I wanted to join in with.


2. She Bangs
Our lil' Ginger Neil got one of the leads in this but this wasn't the only reason that I loved this dance. From the start of the dance to the end, it was infectious in so many ways that I couldn't help bopping my head to it and trying not to let my hips break anything. The choreography was stylish and so complicated but it still managed to tell an amazing story with the three main characters: Neil, Oti and Anton! It was vibrant, exotic and energetic and was made even more extravagant with the bit of pyro at the end with the fire hydrant that the pros danced around. It gave a sense of a midnight party where people would dance around a fire in a circle and this made me enjoy this dance so much - which is hard considering samba isn't one of my favourite dances.

3. All That Jazz
This song is definitely one of my all time favourite musical songs and I was surprised that they actually used it as a pro dance. Katya was a perfect leading lady for this dance and really held her own in this pretty iconic number but still let the other female pros shine as well. I think the choreography perfectly combined some amazing *and difficult* technique along with some perfect odes to the song and musical itself, from the little details to the outfits and hair. The use of the chairs is always something risky but I didn't see one mistake or slip up and it just added to the dance so much.The boys also got a good little part in this number doing some very musical theatre style moves but I loved seeing the girls in charge being all sassy and fiery! I hope we'll maybe see Cell Block Tango as a pro dance next time.

4. I'll Be Seeing You
Remembrance Day always gets me a little too emotional and this dance was both emotional and beautiful at the same time. I loved the use of a real life couple from the days to remind viewers the reality of stories like this and the hardships couples had to go through to stay together. I also loved the fact that they made AJ and Chloe the lead because it shows that most of the soldiers and their loved ones were pretty much children themselves but had to become adults quickly to keep the love alive. The two of them portrayed the emotion and love of the two characters beautifully and made me feel as if I had been transported back to the war days with the music and the classic choreography. The use of the narrative mixed in with the music made it feel like a 3 minute film that I was hooked on from start to end. AJ and Chloe ooze such maturity when they dance and I love watching them and can't wait to see them get even better in the future.

5. When the Clock Strikes Midnight
This was one of the more darker Halloween pro dances that they've done but it enticed me in and kept me entranced the entire time. They used three of my favourite pros (Kevin, Karen and Brendan) and really made a story that was scarily beautiful. I always love watching Kevin and Karen dancing together, especially in a contemporary style, because you can feel the love and chemistry radiating off the two of them and even the painful bits are acted out like true professionals. Brendan pushed the dance a step further by adding a lot of intensity and fire to make the story take a turn for the worst! He was able to play this evil and heartbreaking character whilst showing off Kevin's pain as Karen is taken away from him. With the other pros in dark and intense colours in the background, the dance oozed passion and strength and culminated in an emotional shot of Kevin mourning the loss of Karen. Overall, it was a pot of emotions and was one of the strongest Halloween pro dances there has been!

So, hopefully you enjoyed my top 5 pro dances of this series and I wonder if any of these are your favourite? Or have I missed a dance out that you are absolutely in love with.

Let me know in the comments below or contact me on one of my Tumblr blogs:

So for know...
Keep Dancing!

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin