Skip to main content

Help! Essays are due!

Hiya guys,

This week is another attempt at helping you gorgeous people to learn things through my mistakes. It is that time of the year and whether you've already given in essays or have some to give in, everyone will need help at some point.

Please don't just take my word for it as I am only a first year university student and cannot help with content or structure . However, here are just a few points that I wish I'd known when I started doing essays and things that I do now that really help my essay writing process.

Essay's, whether they be for a humanities or a science subject, have a core aim and that is too write about a specific topic to show your understanding and ability to write coherently and for a purpose so hopefully this can be partly useful to everyone.

1. Once you've chosen a question, step back and think about what it is asking
Get the question and analyse it. What is the question word? Is it 'why, what, to what extent,' and figure out what your approach is going to be. Is it a two sided argument or are there different possibilities that can be separated into points. Look at the key words and make a mental list of what they are asking.

2. Take a huge chunk of time to plan your work
I know it sounds stupid but sometimes its better to spend as much time planning as it is writing. Basically writing your essay in note form makes writing the essay itself much easier because you know the structure which means you don't waste time figuring things out. Make them clear and precise with all your points and evidence in the right order,

3. Ask for help from teachers
This is something I was always reluctant to do because I was scared. If you're not allowed to ask for direct help like sending drafts or asking for points, send them plans or if you have questions, they may be able to clarify any difficulties you may come across. They're there to help you and there is no harm in asking.

4. Stick to the topic and make it clear and relevant - PEEL
Going off topic is one of my biggest mistakes but if you stick to point, example, expand and link then you cannot go wrong. Make sure all the points are relevant to the essay title and that you always find a way to make the reader sure that it somehow links to what the main topic is. Try not to waffle and make sure that your points are precise and accurate.

4. Read your work aloud once finished
When you keep reading things in your head, sometimes it doesn't actually give you a sense of how well it reads. If you read it aloud, it allows you to get a better feel of if the essay makes sense grammatically and whether it sounds the way you want it too.

5. Get other people to read it
Sometimes when you read a piece over and over again, you get confused and you obviously will be slightly bias on the quality. If someone else reads it, they can tell you whether it reads well or if there are any errors that you may not have noticed or that you may have missed. Don't let them criticise it but ask for their opinion as it may help you if you see it from an outsiders perspective.

6. Take breaks
You are not going to write a good essay if you spend hours on end doing it. I split it into 45 minute segments with breaks in between. It allows your brain to be re-energised and have a fresh look upon your essay! It works the same as revision, the more you do at one go, the less effective your work will be. So don't wait until the last minute as you may then have to work none stop.

Once you get your essay back, it's done! DON'T spend too much time getting stressed if it didn't go well but DO have a look over it and see what comments have been made that can help you next time. Also, go and see that teacher or seminar leader to get them to talk through it if something confuses you or if you need someone to expand on a point.

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin