Skip to main content

Wrestlemania Review

Hiya guys,

Another wrestling post but it was the biggest night of the WWE calendar: WRESTLEMANIA! This is the first year I have watched it from the start to the end and, after the pain of some of the last pay-per-views like Summerslam, I really hoped that they would bring something massive out for the Ultimate Thrill Ride. Please don't read if you don't want spoilers!

Pre-Show

Cruiserweight Championship - Neville defeats Austin Aries
This was a match that I really wanted to see on the main card because the 205 live roster has constantly been impressing me. None more so that the King of the Cruiserweights Neville who returned heel after a long break due to injury. This match actually had a real pop with the crowd showing their support for the opponent Austin Aries. This match really showed the crowd what talent these wrestlers have and how their small size really improves their mobility and skill set. There were some real tense moments where I thought that Neville was going to lose his championship but, after a brutal beatdown, the King retained and I was over the moon. I can't take away from double AA because he did an amazing job for his first pay-per-view back and really made this a match to remember.
Rating: 4.5/5

Andre The Giant
This was a real disappointing match from the whole way they did it to the winner, I really had high hopes because some of my favourites were in this match. The fact that they made such a big deal out of The Big Show and Braun Strowman, to have them eliminated so early was really a bad decision. They also got rid of some of the real fan favourites at the start such as Heath and Rhyno and the Usos. Mojo really has never won the hearts of the crowd as much as he did with Zack and the whole thing with his famous friend was just a bit pointless. Jinder Mahal did pretty good in being the badguy but it was short lived. Some of the stars performed brilliantly but we just couldn't soak it all in. I was hoping for a win for a veteran or someone with experience like Dolph or Sami but hey ho, not all matches can make me happy. 
Rating: 1.5/5

Intercontinental Championship - Dean Ambrose defeats Baron Corbin
This was another match that I was so mad didn't make the main card. I guess this was sacrificed for the women's match but I wish neither had to move to the pre-show. I normally love watching Dean and Baron and there were some amazing moments from both superstars. Baron really made the most of his heel persona by shouting at everyone and  Dean stuck to his 'lunatic' persona by doing whatever the hell he wanted. BUT, there was no pop for me. I think that they made a mistake by not showing the entrances and they really could've made it a non DQ. With the fearlessness of both stars, tables and chairs could have been used to really make it a stand out match like some of the past ones. I was happy that Dean retained (because he is one of my faves) but I am sad for Baron because they really built him up to win. Hopefully the rematch will be better
Rating: 3/5

Main Show

AJ Styles defeats Shane McMahon
I was annoyed when I found out that THIS was going to be AJ's Wrestlemania match but Shane really stood up to the challenge and put on the match of his life. AJ is a connoisseur in the ring but all we really know Shane for is high flying. Obviously AJ massively outshone Shane in the ring but they both had really good ring chemistry for me and the match was nail biting from start to finish. There were really times where I thought that Shane was going to beat the phenomenal one! He executed some of those Shane O'Mac high risk maneuvers and even had some good technical skills in his submission holds and counters. I was surprisingly interested by this match but the outcome was no surprise.
Rating: 4/5
   

United States Championship - Kevin Owens defeats Chris Jericho
Jericho is definitely a veteran of WWE and Kevin owens has definitely made his mark since the brand split. The chemistry between these two has been magical from their 'friendship' to being enemies. Jericho definitely has amazing in ring skills with his his flying moves like the lionsault but KO has an amazing brutal style of wrestling that rivals Jericho's technicality. One of my highlights had to be KO doing the 'Walls of Jericho' on the man himself because there's nothing more I like that someone using a stars moves against him. The crowd always pops for these two and I have to admit that I love Jericho as both face and heel, This was the perfect stage to end this feud and it seemed a semi predictable result as we know that Chris is doing Fozzy stuff - it didn't stop it from being a grade A match
Rating: 4/5

RAW Women's Match - Bayley defeats Sasha Banks, Charlotte and Nia Jax
This was the match I was least looking forward to because the championship has been a joke with this stupid switching from Sasha to Charlotte 4 times! It's nice to see Nia Jax in the equation and she really has made an amazing debut from her presence to her outfit. I was so angry that she was eliminated so early because it really would have been a new era- it was amazing how they pinned her. I can't deny the talents of these women and I think the addition of Bayley actually made me more interested because it wasn't the typical Sasha/Charlotte show. The ending was perfect to see the 'Queen' v the People's Champion and it was nice to see them continue Charlotte's losing streak and see the face reign victorious.Normally I fast forward these because of the predictability but it was a good match showing the progression of women's wrestling, I just wish Nia had got much further.
Rating:4/5

RAW Tag Team - The Hardy Boys defeat Gallows and Anderson v Enzo and Cass v Cesaro and Sheamus
Now this was one of the biggest surprises of the night. From not really looking forward to this match (except Cesaro and Sheamus whose entrance was fire), it was probably the biggest shock of my life. I was never a fan of WWE when the Hardy brand was big but I have been following them and they made this match! All teams really put in their all and it was good to see some of the best solo stars working together to produce a good solid match! The ladders added something to it and made it a good match to watch! Even though the Hardy boys smashed it as they always do in matches like this, I always have to give props to Sheamus and Cesaro who are an amazing duo!
Rating: 4/5

John and Nikki Bella defeats The Miz and Maryse
This match has got so much stick over the last few weeks but I have been so excited because Nikki is one of my favourite female wrestlers and the Miz is one of my favourite male wrestlers. I don't want to go all fangirl with my fashion obsession but Maryse wrestling gear was on fire! The Miz and Maryse started it in proper heel fashion and I feel like it set the pace for the match. But, the rest was extremely lack luster for me. The Miz was definitely the star of this match and Nikki dd well , in the small time she did wrestle, but John seemed weak and Maryse didn't even do anything! It seemed like a pretty pointless match and this upset me as I'd really been looking forward to it.
Rating: 2/5 (mainly for Miz)

Seth Rollins defeats Triple H
This had to be the best set of entrances so far, Triple H came out in the true King style and Seth looked like he was a power ranger with his gold outfit and 'Kingslayer' baton of fire. This is probably the most significant match in terms of the storyline and desire to have this match because we didn't even know if Seth was even making it to WM. You can see the determination on both of their faces and having Stephanie at ringside only intensifies what's at stake. The fight is all over the ring and Seth really is putting his fragile body through hell courtesy of Triple H to make this an amazing show from being slammed on the announce table to being hit with a chair. It's crazy how amazing Seth did whilst still showing that he was injured - he is one crazy mofo the stuff he is doing! And when Triple H put Stephanie through the table - well that followed by Seth defeating Triple H with the pedigree just topped off one of my favourite matches!
Rating: 5/5 - Maybe one of the best matches of the night

WWE Championship - Randy Orton defeats Bray Wyatt
This storyline is mental and has literally put Bray in the forefront as he deserves. I was pretty terrified with those ring graphics but I don't expect anything less because he is crazy as hell! I am sorry but I had to fast forward this match because those ring graphics became too much for me as I am so squeamish.
Rating: N/A

Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar defeats Goldberg
I wasn't looking forward to this match and it still annoys me. A part timer lost one of the biggest titles to another part timer. Maybe because I'm a new fan, I can't like respect these men as much because of their history but I don't think it's fair to give the title to someone who isn't there most of the time. At least the match is longer than the last few and had more rough substance. It ended the way we knew (with an F5) but at least it's over with. Considering Lesnar wasn't even in for most shows last time he was the champion, I don't expect much from his reign.
Rating: 1/5

Smackdown Women's Champion - Naomi defeats the rest of the SD Women
This is the match I was waiting all night for! Not only did it move from the pre-show, it was second to last on WM! The entrances were perfection from all the girls and really put the personalities of all the SD women on show - they all look stunning too! This really shows the advancement of women's wrestling that it's so late in the show and people are invested in it so much. There was teamwork, out of ring action and some pure technical Bliss *get it* (with Becky suplexing Ellsworth and a double sharpshooter). There was none of this diva stuff and every single superstar got to do some real nitty gritty wrestling. I wish it had been a longer match but this didn't disappoint me in any way! I am so happy Naomi regained her title and hopefully SD is now leading the women's revolution.
Rating: 4.5/5

Roman Reigns defeats The Undertaker
This was an emotional match for so many people and, even though the results wasn't what everyone wanted, it was a great way to end the Undertaker's career. We can all see that Roman wasn't happy beating him but we know to blame the booking team not Roman himself who is a star wrestler and performer. Considering his age, the Undertaker put on one of the best performances of the night and put Roman through his paces and vice versa. It would've been nice for the Undertake to win but Vince, this is on you! The ending was so symbolic and, even as a person who hasn't been a long time WWE fan, got emotional and upset when the 27yr career ended.

So hopefully you enjoyed my match by match review. The highlight of the night for me was definitely Seth Rollins defeating Triple H but the whole night was pretty exceptional, apart from a few flaws. I can't wait to see the direction each show goes in from now and who we'll see coming up from NXT!

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin