Skip to main content

Book... I PICK YOU!

Hiya guys,

The title of this post is pretty self explanatory and I feel like these kind of posts are nice because they don't trick you and give you an insight into my crazy life. It's crazy how in my dads time, it wasn't 'cool' to be interested in books and now, everywhere you look, it seems as if books are becoming so much more mainstream and encouraged. Here are my top 4 books but they are in no order because I could never choose between my babies.
        

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
This is one book I refuse to not have with me so it goes literally everywhere with me from Manchester to London. I think it was because the book had so much meaning and was the first book I felt as if I connected too. Charlie has a bit of everyone in him and it just means that you can relate to his character in some way without you feeling as if your diary is being read by millions. The fact that Chbosky has managed to touch on some realistic and serious issues whilst not making it the main topic shows how amazing of a writer he is. Although I know many of you will know it from the film, the book is much better and is something that has to be on your list of books to read. I could go on forever with this book. 'We accept the love we think we deserve.'

2. Looking for Alaska by John Green
Whenever someone mentions John Green, you're mind will most likely go to The Fault in our Stars or Paper Towns. I always get some funny looks when I tell people that this is mine because I think it's a bit like marmite, you either love or hate it. This makes me a bit wary of the film coming out as it'll increase the popularity but, for now, I am happy to say that I have always loved this book. The fact that it's from a boys perspective makes it all the more interesting because it shows another point of view. Even though it doesn't have a happy or sad ending, the layout and structure of this book masks that with a curious plot and a story that in no way is shown by the title. Sometimes the most simple books with the simplest of messages makes the best read because you get to interpret it your own way throughout.
'That didn't happen, of course. Things never happened the way I imagined them.'

3. You're The One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher
I only actually picked this book from the store in because the title was the same as a song from Grease. Thank heavens I did because it is one of my favourites now. A tale of 3 friends that seem to go through a cliche of a friendship to a cliche of adulthood. But, the good thing about this is that even though the concept may have been done, the way it's been portrayed and the outcome is not what I ever expected. A tale of love, friendship and sacrifice, it shows how well the three traits go together and how hard it is to fall in love so young. Giovanni Fletcher is such a whiz with words and makes it all some like your reality by transporting you into a world that isn't your own.

4. Soulmates by Holly Bourne
This was one of the first books I actually couldn't stop crying at. At first read, it's not a typical love story and that's what I liked about it. A cynical girl who doesn't believe in love meets someone who is both bad and good for her in the same way and she doesn't know why but she falls fast for a band member which is everyone's dream. However, this book easily become a nightmare or the couple and the world around them. What I like about this is that it combines fantasy and reality and makes it exciting to read yet familiar in so many ways. I must have read it at least 5 times and cried as much each time even though I know the ending in more detail each time. I think it's one of the best YA books out.
'But real love does change you. It moulds you. It burns your heart into a charred cinder that relights like a phoenix, stronger and more blazing than ever.'

So there are my top books, let me know below what yours are and if you agree with me on any of my books!

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin