Skip to main content

Why being short sometimes sucks!

Hiya guys,

It's sometimes great to be short but most of the time it's shite!

Being at max 5ft 1 has been the brunt of people's jokes since I was at high school because, believe it or not, I've actually been short my entire life. This not my fault because my parents are probably the shortest pairing in the world because my dad's 5ft 6 and my mum's 4ft 10 so you can't be surprised that I ended up this height. I don't really care sometimes because I can get into kids clothing and I don't stick out like a sore thumb in awkward situation. But that's where the advantages end and the problems are becoming more visible as I get older.

I've been trying to find an outfit for a wedding in the winter and this is where the problems become seriously annoying. I CAN'T FIT INTO ANYTHING! I've been surfing hundreds of websites and visiting probably the same number of shops to find something to wear. I don't have the issue where I can't find something I like because if it's black, it's fine with me. The problems start when I go to try something on. Imagine yourself as a kid and trying on your mums clothes - that's me now. I try on these beautiful clothes but I just look like I'm playing dress up which isn't what I want to look like. Everything looks to big or too out of place on my small *in every way* body. Then there are issues with lengths of clothes. Jeans are too long, skirts are too long, t-shirts are too long and dresses are too long. Midi dresses with an overlay are in style and I think they look stunning but I can't wear them because they're too long even if I try one on in a size 4. 

Another problem with clothes is the lack of variety in the Petite ranges in shops like Miss Selfridge or Topshop. I won't lie and say that a lot of places have got a lot better but it's still too small and some of the stuff just doesn't suit me. What I've also noticed is a lot of the Petite range is pretty formal wear for like work or parties so, if I want an outfit to go on holiday with - well that's not going to happen. Am I going to be stuck with a small choice of clothes for my entire life?

So I have trouble finding things to wear but that's not the end of the pain. I'm 20 and at university but everywhere I go, people assume I'm 14 or 15 and that's not a great look when you have a baby face to match. I'm not complaining that I look young but I know that my height doesn't help.

I'm not saying that I want to be a giant but a few inches taller would be nice. I wonder if really tall people have the same problem just in the opposite way? Well, I know I'm not growing so I should probably suck it up and make the most of it.

That's all for now my dears,

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin