Skip to main content

The Greatest Showman Review

Hi my lil' Fairies,

I had the pleasure of going to see The Greatest Showman last night. Even though I was looking forward to seeing it, I was sceptical on whether it would live up to some reviews. Luckily, I loved it and want to see it again, buy the album and marry Zac Efron! The film's based on the true story of P. T. Barnum's (Hugh Jackman) journey with creation of his Barnum & Bailey Circus and the lives of its star attractions.

The first song, The Greatest Show, was an awesome way to start the film and really set the tone for the whole film. It introduced us to the cast from the get go but didn't really give away any of the story but it got me really excited to see what the storyline would bring. Without giving away too much of the story, Barnum recruits unique outcasts such as the Bearded lady Lellie Lutz, The World's fattest man and a brother and sister Anne Wheeler (Zendaya) trapeze act and embraces their oddities. With the help of Phillip Carlyle (Zac Efron), the circus goes from strength to strength. However, with all the risks they take, they obviously had their issues and critics but, together, they fight through it as a family.


My favourite part of the film was the amazing, original soundtrack throughout the film. Most times, when I watch any musical, apart from Disney and those based on Broadway, the music is always underwhelming and basic. The Greatest Showman's soundtrack is probably one of the best albums of 2017 from anyone, whether it be a band, artist or film. My favourite was Rewrite the Stars sang by Zendaya and Zac Efron and, I have to admit, it did get me a little bit emotional and there were tears because of the sheer passion that from the two and the fiery chemistry throughout. This song is the perfect example of the effort and passion that went into these songs, so much so that each one makes you feel something in some way. Whether its full of love like this one, or This is Me where you feel empowered and like you could face anything the world throws at you, there's a song for every occasion!


However, as well as the songs being beautiful in their own right, they're perfect aides to the storyline and always seemed to have a purpose. It wasn't one dimensional and all of the different stories for the characters were so diverse and worked perfectly to create this one spectacle. It had the stereotypical love story, the fight for your achieving your dream as well as struggling to fit in a world that doesn't accept differences. However, it deals with much deeper issues raised like race, discrimination, gaps in society and the importance of family. It felt like there was no seed that untouched and it was all done in a such a way that it never felt like they were pushing the issues on you to ruin the experience. This, mixed with all the special effects and old style setup, really made for one spectacular film that felt as if you were being transported into another century, maybe even another world at some times!

As for the actors in the film, even the ones who aren't as big as Jackman, Zendaya or Efron, they all played their parts perfectly and made this a film to epic. It's perfect for people who feel like they don't belong or fit in, it's also great for those dreamers in the world but, most of all, it's for those people who always got told they couldn't achieve their dreams! So, no matter what age you are, or what you like or dislike, this film is a must see for anyone who likes an outrageous film that is basically Hollywood theatre at it's best!

That's all for now my dears

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Introducing me!

Hiya guys,  This is my first ever blog post, I was going to say of the year, but it is actually my first one ever! I think it is necessary to introduce myself to all you beautiful people.  My name is Sonal Lad and I am a below average 18 year old girl from England!  I started this blog because I have always been interesting in writing to a mass audience and I believe that this could be the starting point of trying to get into journalism. I also love the idea of being able to interact with people from all over the world on issues that are dear to my heart!  I think as time goes on, you will get to know me a lot more and hopefully I get to know all of you guys a lot better! That's all for now my dears, See you soon xx

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin