Skip to main content

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies,

It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time.

Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced?

Here's the video from the last time it was debated:
I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse.

EXCUSE ME?!?

Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20 years, I now have 3 piercings on each ear and my sister's got two (there are currently plans for more in the Summer). This means that I'm fine with getting young kid's ears pierced, but I get that some people might think differently.

Now, here's my issue with the woman's argument who is against this. I find it fair that she doesn't think it's right, I mean it's up to a parent whether they think it's appropriate or not. However, it was the way this woman was describing parents who get it done to there kids. Maybe I'm bias because it's all I know, but calling it child abuse and saying that it's ostracising young children - I mean come on! For one, this is trivialising the actual concept of child abuse that is going on in the world: children getting beaten, starved and sexually exploited - this is abuse, not getting your child's ears pierced! The women then went on to say that it's emphasising vanity and ruining a child's innocence by exploiting them. How? How is getting a child's ears pierced doing this? Parents don't go around flaunting their children's ears and getting unwanted attention, it just doesn't happen! She then decided to criticise the woman opposing her, who I can assume is also of the Indian culture like me and didn't see an issue with getting a child's ears pierced. It's one thing saying that parent's shouldn't do it, but criticising a culture that normalises this is another thing that just add's to this woman making a mountain out of a molehill (Phineas and Ferb reference anyone?). Throughout this interview, she just kept weakening her own argument and, by the end of it, I just wanted to throw the TV out of the window!

If she'd straight up said she didn't like it because it didn't give the child a choice, then it'd be fine - it was the hyperbolic and OTT way she did it - there are worse things in the world that could happen to a child.

I've had my ears pierced since I was a baby and it has no way mentally or psychologically impacted me. I get that she has an opinion but slamming and labelling parents as 'irresponsible' is just rude and stupid - you can't assume a parents state to raise children by small decisions like this... 

So, maybe I'm the controversial one but the way she argued it, I just feel like she's made herself look stupid because comparing getting your kid's ears pierced to child abuse it the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I do want to know what other people think, so let me know if you want!

That's all for now my dears

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Introducing me!

Hiya guys,  This is my first ever blog post, I was going to say of the year, but it is actually my first one ever! I think it is necessary to introduce myself to all you beautiful people.  My name is Sonal Lad and I am a below average 18 year old girl from England!  I started this blog because I have always been interesting in writing to a mass audience and I believe that this could be the starting point of trying to get into journalism. I also love the idea of being able to interact with people from all over the world on issues that are dear to my heart!  I think as time goes on, you will get to know me a lot more and hopefully I get to know all of you guys a lot better! That's all for now my dears, See you soon xx

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin