Skip to main content

My Dissertation Story

Hi my lil' fairies

Hasn't it been a long time since I've spoken to you lovely people? Well my title can probably tell you why. I am in my third year of university and the last few months have consisted of research and writing my dissertation. However, after a solid 7 months, I finally handed my dissertation in on Monday and I can't tell you how much of a weight has been lifted off me. It's almost like this 10, 966 words (I know, I cut it very finely on the word count) have become part of me, mainly because I have invested so much time and effort into it.

Before I even started to stress about writing it, I had to come up with an idea for it. I chose my overall topic the year before and this meant that I had to pick within the topic, but it didn't mean restrictions - it was the opposite for me. I picked the cultural revolution in Germany and Britain and this gave me endless possibilities. Initially, I chose to do Britain because I thought that my lack of German would be an issue, so I picked music because it's something I love. However, I kept coming to dead ends because, no matter how much I love it, it just wasn't possible to write about because I couldn't find enough sources. So, after a lot of failed attempts, I went back to what I loved: East German history. After I decided on my topic, I had to narrow it down to make a question that could be the basis of the dissertation. The portrayal of East Germany in cinema had been done before and was basically the whole basis of the historiography, so I had to think differently and a lot more specifically. Although it took a lot of research, I found that there were a lot of films on the Stasi and also that there were fictional TV series' and books on the same topic. It meant that I was being specific but different to the current research. 


Then, it was the hard job of trying to find the primary sources because, unlike doing something British, I couldn't just pop to the local library or place that sells DVDs to find the films and books I needed with subtitles. However, after a lot of research, I finally found the Goethe Institute in West Kensington that had all the films and books I needed and, surprisingly, Netflix and 4oD even had a few options for me. After coming up with my list, I spent the next few months watching film after film after series after book. Sometimes I doubted whether I could do it, because my sources would've been a lot longer and more time consuming than others, but it was worth it. I got some experience with foreign film and actually enjoyed some of the sources like the Netflix series The Same Sky. 


Then, it was the time to actually start writing the 10,000 words and it seemed so daunting that I didn't think I could do it. But, slowly, and with a lot of musical inspiration, I got the words written and just spurted out whatever came into my head - which was great, until I had to read back over it and check for spelling and grammar issues. But, over 6 months and hundreds of reads later, I finally got it done and was ready to get it bounded like a proper academic before giving in to the History Office and being greeted by one of the staff congratulating me on getting it.

Before I end this long but rewarding story, I have to give a shout out to my mum who literally read the whole 10, 966 words like 5 times. I couldn't have imagined doing it for someone else but she had the patience and energy to take it all seriously and genuinely take an interest in what I was writing.

So, the final essay of my time at university is finally done and, even though it's been some of the hardest few months, I feel really proud and accomplished for having written something as big and research heavy as this!

So, with less than a month left before I officially finish university, and this blog can actually go back to being a main priority, I just have to work my socks off and hope all this hard work pays off!

That's all for now my dears

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Introducing me!

Hiya guys,  This is my first ever blog post, I was going to say of the year, but it is actually my first one ever! I think it is necessary to introduce myself to all you beautiful people.  My name is Sonal Lad and I am a below average 18 year old girl from England!  I started this blog because I have always been interesting in writing to a mass audience and I believe that this could be the starting point of trying to get into journalism. I also love the idea of being able to interact with people from all over the world on issues that are dear to my heart!  I think as time goes on, you will get to know me a lot more and hopefully I get to know all of you guys a lot better! That's all for now my dears, See you soon xx

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin