Skip to main content

A message for my younger self

Hiya Guys,

I am a Youtube addict and that means I'm guilty to be addicted to Youtubers in general. One of my favourite vloggers Dan Howell did a video where he said a bunch of things he would want to say to his past self. So here is mine:

Dear Sonal from the past,

You think that you're having an amazing time as a child and just enjoy it because it won't last! But here are a few things that might make things slightly better, maybe not straight away but in the long run it will:

1. Stop trusting people so quickly. 
It's easy to think that everyone you meet is great at keeping secrets but you shouldn't share them with so many people. You may think that they'll keep it, but many won't. They'll encourage you to share then ridicule you. You'll lose more friends than you gain and you don't want someone you don't even talk to knowing your deepest secrets.

2. Best friends aren't real. 
You probably think I'm being stupid because up until the age of 9 you had one best friend. Well she will leave you for another girl. You'll then keep claiming to make 'best friends' who will then leave you at the drop of a pin. Don't rely on one person, make friends with everyone because if that one person isn't there, then your life can get extremely hard.

3. It's okay to want to change but do it for yourself.
Everyone will tell you not to change your appearance because you're perfect the way you are. Well you are but if you want to improve your appearance then do it because I know how self concious you feel. BUT don't do it for that boy you have a crush on, or that guy who won't give you the time of day. Do it for yourself, to make it easier to look at yourself in the mirror every morning.

4. You don't have to be happy all the time
I know that you always advise other people but sometimes you need to put yourself first. If you want to cry then cry. If you need advice then ask for it because bottling it up isn't good. If you don't want to tell anyone then write it down because at least it's going to get rid of some weight on your shoulders.

5. Being nerdy is okay!
You'll wear glasses and wear braces and love reading and writing. That may make you the stereotypical 'geek' but there's nothing wrong with that. You'll find people just like you who won't make you feel bad for feeling a certain way or enjoying certain things.

6. No one can make you feel inferior without your permission
You're different. You like boybands and you become addicted to things too quickly. You can be clingy and, even though you don't realise it, you rely on people a lot because you're always uncertain. There is nothing wrong with that. People will mock you and try to change you to become 'normal' but that shouldn't be the case. You like that boyband that isnt cool and you listen to that song over and over. They can't make you feel bad for being yourself because you are pretty amazing.

From Future Sonal (who is just as weird even now)

So I hope you all enjoyed my little sentimental message. Dan is right when he says that even though this is advice, I am glad that everything happened to me because I may have been completely different. Your childhood happened for a reason and even though I am embarrased about a lot of things, I have had a blast!

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin