Skip to main content

Life With A Sprinkle of Glitter Review

Hiya Guys,

This post is quite a fun one for me because I get to review Louise's (AKA SprinkleofGlitter) book Life With a Sprinkle of Glitter. I say this is fun because Louise was one of the main reasons I bucked up the courage to actually start blogging constantly. It took me a while because I never had the time to actually pick up my pre-order from Waterstones but better late than never.

Louise's book is the first book by a Youtuber that I have actually bought because I feel that, unlike other books, it is particularly relevant to me in a time of my life where things are changing and I think it's perfect if you need advice from someone you can trust (I mean I love my parents but some things like boys aren't a topic I like to discuss with them).

I'm going to focus on the parts of the book which were particularly important and useful to me because the book is full of so many amazing chapters for different people and it would be impossible to talk about them all:

1. The first section which really changed my view on how I go about things is the section on The Art of Shopping, particularly page 56. I love shopping but I now know that I am quite a novice. I have changed styles more times than humanly possible but I tend to stick to only clothing that fits within that specific style (e.g. at the moment I wear only dark colours and dress quite rocky). I now know that I shouldn't be scared of trying to be different. What I also love about this is that it doesn't just talk about clothes but how to feel comfortable in them. I'm very petite (OK tiny being 5ft 1) but the section on Love Your Body (which links into a later section) is a great way of giving girls and boys confidence on what they look like!

2. Although I am only 18, I have had the opportunity to travel many times and this has been really stressful (especially if it was from school and I was without parents). The Travelling in Style (page 64) is pretty much a travellers guide to having an amazing stress free holiday. Now I can confidently travel this holidays and not have to worry about all the stupid details.

3. Body Confidence on pages 176+ was something that I was always looking forward to reading in this book. I don't want to make it seem like I am saying it for the sake of it but my body and the way I look has always been an issue for me. Being small was never the main issue but how I feel when I look in the mirror (which isn't often as I get upset) is something that has been with me way too often. I won't lie and say that by reading the section that my whole perspective on myself has changed, but it has helped me come to terms that I am not the only person who feels insecure.

4. The whole section on All About Love is something that I never really had anyone to give me advice on. I'm 18, never been kissed or had a boyfriend and it was always something that not only saddened me but made me question myself in so many ways. I had 'fallen in love' more times that I should and could never find a way to stop it. As cliche as it sounds, this chapter is an eye opener and the pages on Unrequited Love (one which links with me too much) is something I could have done with a few years ago but is still as useful now. 'Get.Away.From.Him' is such a blunt line but I love it with a burning passion! It's something I should have done a long time ago and now I think I will follow this advice. I spent so long trying again and again and dreaming up scenarios when all along it was just damaging me more. Moving on now seems easier that I thought and I now know that rushing to find the one isn't useful and when the right man comes, then I will know and it will be perfect.  

So off my constant babbling (it happens a lot)! I just want to thank Louise for an amazing book that is basically a best friend in paper form. It's small enough to carry wherever you go, aesthetically pleasing (I mean the graphics are utterly gorgeous) and written beautifully!


I literally think that if you want to buy a book to read again and again that is actually useful for anyone of any age, then this is what to buy! I hope y'all consider buying it and, if you're reading this Louise, Thank you again and all my love :)

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin