Skip to main content

Music Friday? - 5SOS SGFG



Hiya guys,

So, I knew it was going to happen. I missed my deadline for my first music Thursday but I have a valid reason and it all sort of comes together. I have a huge assignment due in but it's finished, luckily doing it today means I can review 5 Second of Summer's new album Sounds Good Feels Good which came out this morning. Here is my guide to each song as I hear it!

1. Money
Now I wasnt too keen on this song when I first heard it but I gave it a few chances and it is growing on me. The chorus is catchy but what I love most is the authenticity and how Feldman recorded your conversations and kept it within the track. I think it's a great way to start the album, with something upbeat and carries on with SLSP and the whole upbeat way to start.

2. She's Kinda Hot
You do not know how excited I was for this song bc obviously it was the first one to be properly released. I hate how people think it's the second SLSP because, if you listen to it carefully, then you know the name is decieving (maybe they should've named it something different). It's a great song for all the misfits and really has a great message that if anyone says anything about you, don't care, you can do anything you want. I think it was a great introduction to the New Broken Scene.

3. Hey Everybody!
So apart from it reminding me of Duran Duran's Rio, it is definitely a 5SOS feel. I love the video to it especially and I also think that this one has a private message. It's okay to be broke at some point, and that doesn't have to be narrowed to not having money, you can be lost at many times and it's fine. I love Ashton's solo in this (I won't lie) and I just have to blast it loud whenever I skype my mum.

4. Permanent Vacation
I first heard this song on a tour video and, by the time it came to me seeing them live, I knew it off by heart including all of the spoken bits on the tour. It is literally such an upbeat and rocky song. It's catchy and I wish they had released this as a first single because the video could've been amazing. (I may even say that this is the best faster paced song in the album). 

5. Jet Black Heart
So this has to be my favourite song of the entire album and I knew it would be since I first heard it. I cried when I listened to the lyrics and I think it's this one line 'everybody's got their demons, even wide awake or sleeping.' I know it's a cliche for it to be the first line but seriously it means so much to me and... I hope it may be a tattoo one day, who knows? It's one of those songs I blare when I am feeling really down and I want to get all of my emotions out. Michael is definitely the star of this song because it shows his voice improvement as well as the pure authenticity of it. WELL DONE BOYS!

6. Catch Fire
The drum beat is seriously amazing at the start and I love the richness of Luke's voice as he starts the song. I love the blend between a ballad and a sort of dance beat mixed together and I want to belt it out but also bop along on my seat. The Calum bridge is sort of death so please excuse me while I go and shoot him for causing me these feels.

7. Safety Pin
I've heard so much about this song from people who got in on the EP. I like the opening beat and the tone of Luke and how it seemingly effortlessly goes into Calum. This is probably the song which signals the 'Broken Scene' the best as it is the logo. I like to think that this song sort of shows that they are here to help us fix our pieces. Also loving the line that is like the one from Wrapped Around Your Finger (which is one of my favourite songs)

8. Waste The Night
This is my friend's favourite song and it is not a huge surprise tbh. The soft guitar start is a really calming melody and the beat within in when it starts is pretty amazing. I mean it isnt one of my favourites but I definitely think it gets better when Luke's voice isn't drowned out by the instruments and effects. The chorus is definitely the best part (even if it is repeating the title haha).

9. Vapor
The start of this song with the pipes is a beautiful touch and I know that a lot of people love this on tumblr! The lyrics are so smooth and I love the vapor metaphor they are using because it shows that they have really thought about these lyric before they wrote the songs.

10. Castaway
Another amazeballs song with a great 'Broken Scene' message. Aren't we all just castaway in our own way? I am a sucker for this song's drum beat as well as the harmonies (especially the Malum ones haha).

11. The Girl Who Cried Wolf
I have heard that this is Ashton's favourite song and I do not have any questions why. I never heard this before whereas some people did on their Amazon order of She's Kinda Hot. I really like it, I can't go into huge detail because I've just managed to listen to the whole album properly once since I only got it a few hours ago. Luke's voice gets extremely strong in the mid section of this song and it really shows how much his voice has matured since the first album.

12. Broken Home 
I don't know why this song meant so much when I listened to it. My home isn't broken physically but I know that mentally it is and sometimes I feel like it affect me in a way I do not understand. I can't wait to find out the story of this because it is beautiful and the melody is smooth and serene.

13. Fly Away
I've listened to this song over and over by so many different people and I still never get tired of it. It's yet another song with a catchy af beat and lyrics to match. Now that I am in London, I love the line 'I want a little bit of London Sky,' because I can imagine them sat on a balcony here and just looking at the sunset.

14. Invisible
Calum rocks this song! The story behind it must be something everyone has gone through. Not really knowing who you are and feeling like you could vanish and no one would probably notice. It's not my top song but I don't think I have a least favourite song because everything the boys do makes me smile.

15. Airplanes
I know this is one of Mikey's favourite songs but it isn't my ultimate favourite (though the more I listen, it's becoming a contender). I do love the way their voices sound in the song and the change of pitch and tempo. It's almost like a song I could imagine walking down the aisle too or having my first dance too. The change of tempo and beat really captures me and the little guitar rifts really get the thumbs up from me.

16. San Francisco
I sort of cannot get enough of this song because, well I haven't worked it out yet. I think it's the way it gains momentum from a sort of calm beginning verse to adding more instruments and harmonies. I am going to be honest and say I don't get the end instrumental but it sounds pretty cool, maybe it should've been a different song.

17. Outer Space/ Carry On
At first I wasn't sure of it because it obviously has that annoying gap in the middle which i have noticed a few have along with a weird sort of end instrumental but I think I prefer the Carry On section because the words are pretty bold and really mean something doesn't it?

So overall what are my thoughts? I definitely give it a great review. Do I like it more than their first album? I am not sure yet because 5 Seconds Of Summer was the album of my summer last year and had a huge impact. There are definitely songs on this which I love to my hearts content but I do believe that this album will grow on me until I completely forget about the pop first album and get into the new and matured SGFG.

So, if you read this boys, congratulations on an amazing album because it is honestly a piece of musical genius that I put on par with Future Hearts by All Time Low. You are amazing and influential musicians and keep doing what you're doing because you're doing a pretty awesome job saving people from a harsh life.

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx

Remember to buy the album, stream it and share it because the boys deserve it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin