Skip to main content

What have you done Britain? #EURef

Hiya guys,

This is a post I didn't want to write and something in my heart wanted to believe that I wouldn't have to. However, somewhere in my brain, I knew that it was more possible that everyone had previously thought. 

I am of course talking about the EU referendum that happened in Britain yesterday and the disastrous outcome which means that we are no longer a member of the EU. Before I get comments below, I did vote and I did vote to remain in the European Union as I have said since day 1.
The big controversy today has been the huge difference between votes depending on the age group and I believe that this issue has been prominent for some time and needs sorting out. 

It seems as if the majority of people who voted to leave the European Union were over the age of 50. This means two things:
- They won't be the ones effected in the long run by these policies
- They voted down to 'traditional views' held before we joined the EEC (later the EU) 

The second point here is where my History Degree is coming into much use. The history of Britain before, during and after out admission into the EU has been a long run and many of you will know how desperate Heath was to get us into the EU and how we got vetoed several times by Charles De Gaulle. Only with huge negotiations, retaliation from Belgium and the replacement of De Gaulle by Pompidou, did we really stand a chance of getting in.

So why were the older generation desperate to leave? Immigration/ money/ xenophobia

Well these points are exactly what led people to vote #leave but also propaganda that politicians, especially Nigel Farage, have turned back. For example, apparently the NHS won't get £350 million and they now claim they never promised this? Well this is what the country wanted, isn't it? To follow some upper class men with extreme views that they aren't even sticking too? Maybe a Prime Minister whose biggest policy was on bikes?  

Well congratulations you 51% of getting Britain into so much shit! But what does this mean for my generation:
- Will the freedom of travel be restricted?
- Will it cost more to travel around Europe?
- How are out job prospectives being impacted? Can we even think about working in Europe easily?
- Will university students be able to do a year out for ERASMUS?

Well this is what most people my age are thinking. As I woke up to the results, I was shocked, annoyed and angered but let's see what happens when the children and grandchildren of the majority of people that voted leave are being suppressed.

Petitions are being made for re-votes to make sure that the generation that it'll effect the most, those 16-30, are being represented to the most. But does this mean we need to reform the voting system? Allow those aged 16 and over to vote but capping it at 65? Well it's up to us Britain, let's try not to shit our country up anymore.

Let's see if I can try and have a good day today but I highly doubt it.

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx

p.s. I will always be pro Europe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin