Skip to main content

Christmas at University *Top Tips for a Festive Month*


Hi my lil' Christmas Fairies,

It's my absolute favourite time of the year and I can quite honestly say that I've been excited for Christmas since my birthday (which was the 1st Oct). However, come December, although I'm trying to get into the Christmas spirit, I have to remember that I'm in my 3rd year of university and have deadlines galore. So then, how do you get a flat (of two) and yourself into the Christmas mood when the education system wants to keep you down with essays and readings? Here is how I got ready for the Christmas season (I have not been sponsored for any of this but this is just where I bought all my stuff):

1. Christmas Tree (£4 from B&Q)
What is the first thing you think about when someone mentions Christmas? For me it's the Christmas Tree and buying the perfect one for your place. Everything is ready for me at home but as a student, with a small flat and limited budget, it's sometimes so hard to find a tree that's perfectly Christmassy but in my budget. I was lucky enough to stumble on that perfect tree on a trip to B&Q in October (I told you I started early). We found a tree that was just under 4ft that was white and sparkly (with hints of pink in certain lighting). They had so many different colours but I knew that this flat would be perfect for our little flat.

2. Christmas Tree Decorations (Assorted from Primark and Poundland)
What's a Christmas tree without decorations? I luckily had some tinsel that I got from Poundland in first year (£1 obvs) that was gold and looked perfect on the white tree and I also bought some beautiful white fairy lights with a string of silver stars (£1 from Poundland) which really contrasted against the stark white of the tree! I also had to put in my little touch of Disney magic so I dragged myself to Primark and got some really adorable Mickey Mouse baubles (£4 for a pack of 6) which are gold, black and white and the shape of Mickey Mouse and his gloves. It reflects both me and my flatmate with a bit of bright magic but also a nice sense of minimalism and sophistication! When the fairy lights are on and my main light off, I feel like I'm being transported into another magical world of Christmas sparkle! It's also always fun putting them all up with my friends and family to the sound of music.

3. Advent Calendar (2 for £3 at Co-Op or £1.90 each)
I know I'm 21 and advent calendars are normally for children but I find nothing more fun than opening up a little door everyday to be met with a piece of chocolate and a good Christmas joke. This year, I've gone for the Malteaser's one which has 23 doors of small, adorable, Christmas-themed chocolate and a massive Malteaser reindeer for the 24th December. Of course there are cheaper options from Poundland and places but I feel like the best thing about these calendars are the big chocolates on the last day. I mean I have been sad about the recent omissions of the 25th December, but I shan't complain. 24 bits of chocolate in December is exactly what Christmas is about - eating too much food!

4. Christmas Songs
This is free unlike everything else because nowadays you can listen to music everywhere: TV, YouTube, Spotify etc! This means that literally the BEST way to get into the Christmas mood is to listen to some beautiful songs including the out of hibernation Michael Buble and those songs that you always hate to say that you love *Fairytale of New York*. I always feel like, no matter how shit you're feeling, listening to anything with a festive spirit really does lift your mood - take it from someone with a lot of experience. My recommendations are: Michael Buble, Wham!, Boney M and the list goes on (here's my Spotify Playlist for it: 

5. Christmas Films
I was never a massive fan of Christmas films as a child and, even now, it's not necessary for me to get into the mood. I just think its a nice thing to do with your family to have some Christmas bonding to get you all in the mood. However, I watched Arthur Christmas this weekend with James McAvoy and I felt like a child with so much joy and innocence because it was so naive and full of loads of laughs and heart-warming moments. There's a lot on Netflix but definitely watch out on the normal TV guide because there are literally films on everyday with a Christmas theme and it won't cost you any more than your normal TV cost!

So, even in the month of pure university stress, I've managed to retain my Christmas Bliss and hopefully this will give you some tips and also help you buy some things for a great price!

Who knows whether I'll be back before January but I hope everyone has a great Christmas!

That's all for now my dears,

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin