Skip to main content

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies

Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment.

I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I think I am pretty qualified to talk about my views on this subject.
Halloween is a time for little kids to pick out their role model and dress like them for FUN! I don't think that at any point they look further into their costume decision and think of wearing something for a malicious reason. The woman on GMB spoke about the offensiveness of dressing as Princesses of a specific ethnicity who may have been persecuted or had troubles (as is the case with Moana and Polynesia) as it was seen to mock them. She also spoke about how dressing up as Elsa was promoting white superiority which is a bunch of bull to me personally.
These films in no way come off as offensive or superior when they were released and, in the case of Moana, they tried to stay true to the roots by having the cast of various descent such as Samoan and Hawaiian. They also would have done a lot of research to make sure that all of the costumes were culturally correct for children to wear. To say that children wearing these outfits can be seen as malicious is really taking it too far! Children aren't painting their faces to match skin tones (which would be offensive) but are dressing up as strong female role models from films they adore. Same with Elsa, they don't see her skin tone but her strong feminist character!
This topic also has endless controversies that could lead to harmless dressing up being seen as something people avoid in case they offend someone. Also, if it's offensive to dress up as another ethnicity or group of people, do we have to stick to dressing to our own culture? Am I only allowed to dress up as Jasmine because of my skin tone and if I was to dress up as Cinderella *which I did aged 7 for my dads birthday*, would it be offensive? Also, is this applying to those who work at Disneyworld? Should we stop having the characters out and about because a small minority think it's offensive instead of seeing it as an escapism for children?

I think that there is room for conversations on cultural appropriation but its place is not within children's costumes or even costumes in general. As long as it's for the right reasons, why shouldn't you be allowed to dress as a Princess of different ethnicity if they're your idols - no matter what age! I don't see innocent Princess outfits as racist and until it becomes offensive, then I see no issue in it. These costumes are designed with reality in mind and to be as culturally correct as possible as to not offend its people. I think we need to stop trivialising these kinds of things because children don't see these outfits like that! To them, it's innocent fun and a day to be a Princess.

Are we going to far in being politically correct? I think there are other aspects of society that are more in need of addressing rather than costumes. We are lucky enough that there are now a multitude of Princesses from different backgrounds so we should embrace it to educate our children not scare them.

What does everyone else think, let me know your honest opinion!

That's all for now my dears,

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20