Skip to main content

20 years worth of memories...

Hiya guys,

I have officially been 20 for 10 days and I am not feeling any different physically or mentally. I was literally filling an online form in yesterday and almost wrote that I was still 19 *note to self stop that* until I realised that I wasn't a teenager anymore.

I didn't think much of it until a few days ago when my little sister turned 18 and I was looking through embarassing photos of us as kids to put on her Facebook. That's when something hit me, we were both adults. It makes me think, how does your life go from suddenly passing slowly to blinking and missing it all?

It makes me think that I've let my life pass by and only think about things after they happen. I mean with smart phones and people's constant need to take photo's or put stuff on social media, people are less about living in the moment but preserving it for some other day.

Have you ever decided to take a camera to a concert to take a few pics but ended up recording most of the performances?

If you meet a celebrity, is your priority getting a photo instead of talking to them?

Is your first thought when you see something amazing and beautiful, 'I need to take a photo asap!'

Aren't we all guilty? I love looking through old things like photos, videos and notes but then I realise that I can't remember the feeling of most of these memories because I was so busy trying to document them so I could feel something all these years later. However, I sort of regret it because I know that they're normally feelings of sadness instead of the euphoria I probably had at the time.

However, I don't think I'll ever stop doing stuff like this. I have tried not to focus so much on taking videos at concerts but I mean, after everything I said, is trying to preserve memories such a bad thing?

God that was an anti-climax, I bet you all thought I'd tell you to live more in the moment but that would be hypocritical of me. I mean I love looking back at videos, photos and little trinkets I've collected over the years and remembering everything good about that day or week. Let me give you an example:

I went to Italy a few years ago with my high school's music department and I took so many photos and videos of each thing we did. There are pictures of us in our outfits, when we went bowling and at a historical town but that doesn't mean I didn't take everything in. It just means that I now have visual cues that I can look at and remember the little things that I couldn't capture.

Here's a photo of a beautiful Italian town in the mountains:
But what I remember the ride up where I was singing Chatanooga Choo Choo with all of my friends.

Or a picture of the Italian greenery from on top of the tower:
But what I remember is the amount of time it took to get up there which involved me and my friend messing about whilst listening to a stupid tour guide and me standing on said friend's head as we walked up a vertical ladder.

I know this seems like a circular post because you probably expected me to say something profound about 'living in the moment' and 'it's whats in your head that matters.' But, I guess my main message is, do what you feel can keep these memories alive because, at the end of the day, there will come a day when thing have happened to long ago to remember fully so why should it be like that? Take pictures, make vlogs for yourself and write diaries when things are happening because I can't imagine my life without all these things.

'A Photographer's Shutter light's a fire in their soul...
That's when magic happens and memories are captured.'

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin