Skip to main content

An Open Letter to Exams

This is a letter from me and probably the entire population who are or who ever have taken you while they were studying. I know you mean well and to some people you are their saving grace because they understand how your brain works and how you are manipulated by the lecturers, teachers and examiners but, at the end of the day, I am not one of those people... and neither are a lot of people.

For most of us, you come around once a year and that time of the year and it is literally hell! I try to avoid you when I'm picking my subjects but why is it that all of the best subjects have to have you as assessment? Cold War - Exam. Germany - Exam. Britain - Exam. 

I'll pretty much enjoy the entire year learning different things that are genuinely interesting (except maths and science at GCSE because I was just shit at those subjects) and getting to put that knowledge into practise by making products or writing stories. It makes me want to carry on studying for my entire life and just learn everything from history to design to ICT because knowledge is power.

But then April will come and suddenly I'll remember why, after next year, I'm never going back to education. The time of the year where teachers will helpfully remind you that there's only a month until your exams, which will pretty much effect the rest of your life, and you should be in full revision mode. Luckily for me, I've normally been revising for months already but those words are like a kick in the stomach and causes a pain in my chest.

Suddenly I'm expected to remember EVERYTHING that I've been taught over the last 1/ 2 years for a single exam that could be on anything. Funnily enough, every exam I've done recently has totally defied the point of learning because I'm suddenly having to just memorise hundreds of facts and theories and pray that something that has stuck comes up. But, even before I get near to the exams, I've gone through months of anxiety and panicking by just thinking about you. You just seem to exploit all of my weakness: my inability to act under pressure, my worry about forgetting things and my fear of not being good enough when I need to be.

Those months of anxiety leads up to that one day, those few hours where you're faced with the uncertainty of what's even going to turn up. Am I going to be lucky? Or are those months going to just be pointless because I might just have a really bad day. But you and the examiners don't care about that, they just want to see the results you can get under pressure. The problem is that if I fail then they'll think I've not done any work and suddenly my revision has been overlooked because I messed up.

So... that's my experience. I want to thank you exams for creating some of the worst memories and anxiety in my life. Congratulations for mentally breaking me every year for those few months just so that you can show teachers how good or crap they were at teaching. I'll be happy once I never have to see you again but don't worry because you'll have plenty more victims, sorry I mean students, to ruin for the rest of eternity. 

Wishing you all the best - have fun ruining lives

From Sonal Lad (a current victim)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin