Skip to main content

Skinny-Shaming

Hi my lil' fairies,

Over the last few months, my posts have varied from really magical and lighthearted to one or two pretty deep and meaningful posts and I think that's what this blog is. It's something to read if you want something cheerful to read but also if you want to feel something or read about a really relevant topic. Today is one of those more serious posts and it's been on my mind for quite a while.

Body shaming is something that has really gotten out of hand in this modern day and age but luckily we are realising that it's not right. It's not right to judge someone on their weight and we are constantly being told not to do it to anyone, right? 

Wrong! We're in a great world where fat-shaming is no longer a thing - good riddance. BUT, where's this same equal mentality when it comes to people on the opposite end of the spectrum. Before I suddenly get a lot of abuse about how it's completely different and being skinny never causes anyone any grief, well you most likely haven't endured hurtful comments like I have. 

I'm a skinny girl, I'm a small girl and I'm small boned as I like to say. It's been the same my entire life and I have always struggled to gain weight like a normal person, even though I eat like properly (even if my natural appetite isn't as big as normal people). This didn't cause me any issues when I was younger  but, as I've gotten older, my genes and body has suddenly become an issue for me and people around me. It's become so bad that I find myself apologising to people for my weight or the way my body looks because it's starting to feel like a flaw. I feel ashamed of the way I look and I know that there's no way to change it. It's the way I was born.

When someone meets me or see's me after a while. I'm met with the same lines:
"Wow, you're so skinny!"
"It's so unfair that you eat loads and you're still stick thin."
"Do you're parents not feed you?"
"Do you even eat normally?"
"Why are you conscious about your body? You're just seeking attention now!"

Most people just say it in passing but isn't it the same as asking someone why they eat so much if they're worried about their weight? Well not to the media, not to singers and not to the news! While we've made some progress, it just seems really one sided. 

Everyone praises Meghan Trainor's song All About That Bass and, as much as I love it, as I listen to the lyrics, isn't she just saying that guys don't like skinny girls and that curves are more beautiful. Aren't companies putting an emphasis on plus size ranges in stores and making sure that they have plus sized models! Well, I don't see big ranges dedicated to small people *no, the Petite ranges are not good enough because they may as well not even existent seeing as though they're never big enough* or having smaller models with a skinnier frame. No, it's just assumed that we purposely and unhealthily get to this weight and we're ridiculed for it and shamed for being different in size and stature! Skinny models have even been banned from runways if their BMI isn't average... well mine isn't but I'm healthy and capable. Isn't it a double standard?

I'm not saying that the progress the world has made isn't important but shouldn't we emphasise that any kind of body shaming is bad. Aren't we all conscious of our body and sometimes feel shitty in our body? So why aren't we recognising that nobody should be ridiculed for the shape of their body and, as long as we are healthy, then nothing should matter.

I know this post will either get me some praise for speaking out but I also know that I could get a lot of abuse. I am in no way promoting being skinny or saying the opposite end of the spectrum is bad. I just want people to be aware of what they're saying to people because, even if you think somethings a joke, it could really hurt someone!

That's all for now my dears,

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin