Skip to main content

Music Friday Appreciates Drummers

Hiya Guys,

So Music Friday has not been as regular as I had first wanted but as you all know, education can sometimes shuffle those priorities around but now I am back on my feet, this should be a lot easier to maintain.

So the title is basically self explanatory and directly addresses what the topic of this post is about. You either love them and take in every single beat or you think that they are loud and irrelevant. Obviously, I fit into the first category because otherwise I wouldn't be writing this post about some of my favourite drummers that some you'll be aware of and some you probably won't.

Ever since I got into 'proper' music, in that I mean more music heavily based on instruments rather than just vocals or dances, and became a huge part of my high school's music department, the concept of the drum and how they are played really stands out for me in every piece of music I listen to. It has gotten so bad that sometimes I manage to tune out every other part of the song and listen to only the drum beat throughout. Sometimes drummers feel unimportant therefore don't show any passion or put in any effort, but these 6 do!

So here are my top 6 drummers in no specific order:

1) Rian Dawson from All Time Low
Drum Break Down of Weightless - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZq-BlD-qo

Many of you have probably heard of Rian and All Time Low and for me he was one of the first drummers that really made a huge impact on me because ATL are one of those bands that opened my eyes to a different type of music. Rian is extremely underrated and, although people debate his technique, the outcome is astounding and the passion is shown through and through. He made drums seem cool and showed that even someone who was in a marching band can become a pop punk icon. Also the side projects he does such as producing really show the diversity of his character.

2) Hunter Knoche from Fly Away Hero
Drum cover of Centuries by Fall Out Boy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xfl8itIITI

Hunter or Knoche as people know, is drummer of the band Fly Away Hero (also the same band as Dalton Rapattoni) and, apart from being seriously ruggedly handsome, he is such a talented drummer. Some of the songs released by the band such as Storm on the Sea and Gasoline played live, they have such a prominent drum beat and it literally makes such a difference on the track. Fly Away Hero is an underrated band anyway but Knoche is definitely one of those drummers that the world needs to hear much more of.

3. Rasmus Blomquist from Beside the Bridge
Drum Cover of The Monster by Eminem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1j_xWtNe8Y

Rasmus has been on this blog before when I have been speaking about Beside the Bridge. Rasmus really shows diversity in his drumming because he can play songs that are very intense and rocky but he can also bring out the best of his drumming skills in very light and poppy covers that the band does. What I also love is the presence he has in performances or covers whether he be playing the drums or cajon as you see the occasional lip sync or him immersed in the melody. Rasmus has been one of those rocks last year and he is so much more than just a part of the bass section.

4. Ashton Irwin from 5 Seconds of Summer
Ashton warming up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=075S3VWH-IM

Love them or hate them but you have to admit, if you have ever had the fortune to see him drum, that Ashton Irwin has brought a new flare to drumming and got it more into the mainstream music scene and got a lot of younger people into drumming. The passion that this boy has for drumming is shown immensely through the pure sweat and weird facial expressions that are always on show. What I believe makes Ashton stand out is the crowd interaction and the ability to play the drums and sing magnificently. So love him or hate him, you have to admit that he has brought a new vibe to drumming. He has also showed me and an entire audience how to believe in yourself and how to feel good about yourself.

5. Tristan Evans from The Vamps

I almost forgot Tristan and I do not understand why! Tristan is one of those drummers that really makes drumming seem so cool and chilled, that isn't to say that he seems lazy when in fact you can see the determination and passion stemming through, it is just that he looks effortless when drumming. The emergence of drum solo's during the tours really show how mesmerised the crowd become when they listen to him and how easily he can command an entire arena all by himself with no vocals. He is also a cutie who always has his signature striped, light up drums with a little Animal Muppet mascot on it.

6. Roger Taylor from Queen
You can watch any Queen video

As many of you won't know, Queen has been a huge part of my life and my dad has been playing them ever since I was a child. He isn't who you think of when you hear drummer but I thought it to be a crime if I didn't put some sort of Queen into my music appreciation post. He was probably the first drummer I really heard and it was probably when I was like 3 and what excites me is how his beat makes the amazing songs sound! They are still one of my favourite bands!

So that is my top 5 drummers and I want to remind you that this does not make any other drummers less amazing but these are the ones I listen to mostly.

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin