Skip to main content

Bassists are important too!

Hiya Guys,

So last week I did a pretty in depth blogpost about my obsession for the underrated task of being a drummer but that got me thinking. Bassists are also very underrated as they're part of the quiet yet necessary bass section so I thought about doing a similar post but for bassists.

The bass guitar is a wondrous instrument and if played correctly, it completely change a track and, if heard, it can be the most magical part of a song and encapsulate an audience. Everyone always complains how it is just a crappy version of a guitar with 4 strings but, to all those people, be gone with you demons!

So here are my top bassists in no particular order. Please do not hate if I've missed huge bass idols but these are just the ones I listen too and who have made a huge impact in my life. I also do not wish to pretend that I know about playing bass so, if I am technically wrong, then please do not criticise as I am a novice on the bass section.

1. Ryan Fletcher from Lawson
Also unable to find one but I vouch he is amazing.

Not to sound obsessed but I've seen Lawson perform about 6 times live and 4 times last year alone and I can say that Ryan Fletcher is one of the coolest and best bassists around. The bad boy of bass. Even though I said there is no preference, he is definitely my top boy and this is because of the style he brings to playing the bass. His rugged good looks and hilarious personality should not draw away from the rawness of his playing and the drive this guy has whenever he plays. He also has some of the best bass faces that I have ever seen, even one to rival his bandmate Joel's, but it shows the commitment to his profession which has taken a long time to be noticed (I always wonder why). So if Lawson happen to be coming your way, check it out to see Ryan in his prime.

2. Zachary Merrick from All Time Low
I am unable to find one specific good HQ video of a bass solo but please do search.

Zachary Merrick for me is what pop punk bassists should be. Zack is stylish and oozes class whenever he is on stage rocking some of my favourite songs inc Dear Maria and anything of Don't Panic. The big thing for me, like Calum, is the ability for him to use his voice confidently to harmonise with Alex but show the audience how unique his voice is. Although he is extremely quiet compared to the other characters *ehem Jack* he allows his music to do most of the talking and makes me want to play the bass. I say he was one of the first bassists I really got into.

2. Calum Hood from 5 Seconds of Summer
Bass Solo from Everything I Didn't Say - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WjNpC4Mo0A

So I know there are going to be 5SOS sceptics but Calum is one of those bassists who doesn't make a huge fuss on his bass but creates magic. Although initially just a guitarist, as said by the Madden Brothers, it is crazy that Calum doesn't know talented he actually is and the passion that he puts into every performance. It's hard to make a presense on a stage with huge characters already in place, but I think that this is the reason that he is such an amazing bassist. He doesn't need gimmicks or flashy instruments to encapsulate a crowd.

4. Niklas Wistrand from Beside the Bridge
Cover of Elyar Fox (1:27) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_B2lBIt17M

You may have seen his bandmate Rasmus in my drummer post, I feel like there is a trend with the bands I like and their bass section being pretty much amazing. I feel like I can't really add much to the descriptions I used for the previous two except that Niklas also seems almost effortless when he's playing bass yet has such a stage presence that you want to scream at him for being so perfect. Along with his dashing good looks, he is also a sweetheart and is determined that, as a bassist, he won't be left in the shadows and that you know that he is a boss. The video I posted shows that talent where he looks at you while playing a complicated bass solo just to show that he is a true performer.

Even though there aren't as many as drummers on the post, bassists are hugely important and I have such respect for these 4 guys and although a few aren't very well known, apart from Zachary Merrick, they are the bassists that bring you in with their skills and personality, So next time you listen to a band driven song, tune your ears into that bass line or bass rift and really take it in because you won't regret it.

That's all for now my dears,
See you soon

xxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Future holds!

Hi my lil' fairies It's been a month since I've graduated and, since that day, I've been hit with questions left, right and centre about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. As I've said in the last post, that scares me shitless because I still think I'm too young to know what the future's going to be like and I'm in denial that I'm not in education anymore to use as an excuse... That's not to say that I've been sat on my arse since I finished in May! As soon as I got home, I was lucky enough to have a job at Hollister waiting for me so, as long as I can get the hours, that's what I'll be doing to pass the time and earn some cash. On top of that, I'm also trying to get work experience here and there, apply for jobs and still do all the stuff I love like writing my blogs and stories. However, the fact that I've been so busy, has helped me not like go into an existential crisis BUT it means I've always

Ear Piercing Debate

Hi my lil' fairies, It seems like all I ever seem to do is complain about what I've seen on my usual weekday morning television schedule, which normally includes Lorraine, This Morning and Loose Women! I can normally watch pretty much any segment and understand both perspectives, but, today, I watched a segment about a debate that has been talked about before and is just increasingly angering me each time. Would you let your toddler get their ears pierced? Here's the video from the last time it was debated: I know it's a question that raises controversy but my main issue was the argument from the woman who opposed it: getting your toddler's ears pierced is child abuse. EXCUSE ME?!? Here's my stance on this issue as a whole: I got my ears pierced when I was a small baba because it's pretty much normal in my culture and the same thing happened to my sister when she was little. I never found anything weird about it and, fast forward 20

Halloween Costume Controversy Response

Hello my lil' fairies Sometimes, I'll be watching daytime telly (Loose Women, This Morning etc) and I'll stumble upon a topic of discussion that really sparks a reaction inside of me which I normally respond to by tweets. This morning I was watching Good Morning Britain and a topic came up that I knew needed a lot more than just 240 characters. It's something that is extremely close to my heart and really relevant at the moment. I am a massive Disney fan and meeting the characters and Princesses at Disneyworld are memories I won't forget. It's also Halloween and millions of little children are going out to buy costumes of their favourite Princesses like Cinderella, Elsa and Jasmine. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley talking about the cultural appropriation of Halloween costumes, and in particular Moana and Elsa costumes. My view might be controversial in this PC society but, as someone of ethnic origin, I thin